Slow cookers (Crockpots or Instant Pots) are huge timesavers that create dishes with complex flavor. You double this recipe and freeze half for later if desired. The variety of herbs in the tabbouleh add so much flavor but also phytochemicals for improved immunity and cell repair. Leftover chicken is great over a simple mixed green salad or served in a pita with hummus and baby spinach for a for a quick and easy lunch or light dinner.
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (preferably organic)
2 lemons, thinly sliced (with peel)
6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed with the back of a knife
2 tsp dried dill
2 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup chicken stock (or water)
4 cups riced cauliflower (from 1 medium head cauliflower) **
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
Handful cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 cup baby arugula or spinach leaves
Handful mint leaves, chopped
Handful Italian parsley leaves, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 clove garlic, pressed or finely minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
**Feel free to substitute 4 cups cooked bulgar wheat or quinoa for the riced cauliflower for grain-based meal.
1. Place chicken through pepper in the bowl of a slow cooker and stir to coat well.
2. Pour olive oil and chicken stock (or water) over chicken to cover, adding additional liquid if needed.
3. Cook over low heat for 6 hours or according to manufactures instructions.
4. For tabbouleh, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Saute riced cauliflower until just tender, but not mushy, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and place in a large bowl. Allow to cool slightly.
5. Add chopped cucumber, tomatoes and herbs and stir to combine.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil, lemon juice and pressed garlic. Pour dressing over cauliflower and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
7. Once chicken has finished cooking, remove solid lemon from slow cooker and discard. Using two forks, shred chicken and serve in cooking liquid with cauliflower tabbouleh.